Apartments damaged by fire

Steam rolls off the flames that are shooting from the roof of the Mount Vernon Apartments South on Main St. as fire fighters begin to hit the fire with water.A fire was reported at 10:40 p.m. on Sunday, October 15 at the Mount Vernon Apartments South.

Tenants in one of the apartments were cooking french fries and the grease caught fire and was quickly out of control.The structure, formerly known as the Guardian Angel Apartments, on Main St. three blocks east of downtown Mount Vernon was heavily damaged by fire and water and 16 people were displaced due to the incident. See the October 19 edition of the Mount Vernon Optic-Herald for more information.